Intellectual property law confers certain exclusive rights on the owners of a variety of intangible assets including the following: discoveries and inventions; musical, literary, and artistic works; and words, phrases, symbols, and designs.
Common types of intellectual property are patents, copyrights, trademarks, and trade secrets.
- A patent gives an inventor the right to exclude others from making, using, offering to sell, selling, or importing the invention during the term of the patent.
IP & Business Law Counseling, LLC provides broad services related to the preparation, filing, and prosecution of patent applications before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Click here for representative services.
- A trademark is a word, phrase, logo, symbol, design, image, or a combination of these elements used by an entity to identify that the products or services offered originate from a unique source and to distinguish them from those sold, made, or offered by others.
IP & Business Law Counseling, LLC provides services and counseling related to the acquisition of trademark rights. Click here for representative services.
- A copyright applies to original works of authorship as soon as they are fixed in any tangible medium of expression. The copyright owner has the exclusive rights to make copies of the work, distribute the work, adapt the work, display the work publicly, and perform the work publicly.
IP & Business Law Counseling, LLC provides services and counseling related to copyrights. Click here for representative services.
- A trade secret is information, including formula, pattern, compilation, program, device, method, technique, process, customer list, that derives independent economic value, actual or potential, from not being generally known to, and not being readily ascertainable by proper means by, other persons who can obtain economic value from its disclosure or use, and is the subject of efforts that are reasonable under the circumstances to maintain its secrecy.
IP & Business Law Counseling, LLC provides services and counseling related to the protection of trade secrets. Click here for representative services.
- IP & Business Law Counseling, LLC provides counseling to individuals and businesses that wish to leverage intellectual property and maximize the economic value of their innovations.
The firm assists clients with the following: auditing and evaluation of assets; strategic management of portfolios; sales and licensing; enforcement of exclusive rights; due diligence associated with acquisitions and financings; and assessment of freedom-to-operate. Click here for representative services.